Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Suzy Favor Hamilton status update
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Duncan
    Thanks for the info about Kathy Ormsby. I remember that name now.

I'll look up that book, aaronk. All of this was already making me think about how different female runners, particularly distance runners, are from guys. My daughter went through the eating disorder thing when she was running track in college and it seemed like more than a few of the girls had various "issues".

But I'd be willing to bet that more than a few of us find the women infinitely more interesting than the men! I always say that my favorite sport is women's track and field and my second favorite is men's track and field.
    Brilliant minds think alike! 8-)

Seriously, DO get that book.
    It has the whole story....background on Ormsby, Herbst AND SFH.....lap by lap of the race, and how it all affected Herbst (She didn't know about Ormsby until the next day!!)....plus, as I said, a pretty good history of worldwide women's track in the 70's and 80's!!

Amazon DOES have it....cheap!

2. Collapse Details
    The hype got to me and I ordered the book, used from Amazon for 50 cents plus $4 shipping!

In more SFH news, I just noticed that she has added her name to the "Principle Six" list to protest the Russian anti-gay laws. The other track athlete on the list is Symmonds (no surprise).
    See http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...-anti-gay-laws

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk
    Frank Murphy deserves lots of credit for the level of his commitment to these subjects and the quality of his writing. He has also done books on Buddy Edelen (his first, as I recall) and Lee Evans (his most recent). I used to run into him fairly often, but haven't seen him in years now, so am not sure if another book is in the works.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kuha
    Frank Murphy deserves lots of credit for the level of his commitment to these subjects and the quality of his writing. He has also done books on Buddy Edelen (his first, as I recall) and Lee Evans (his most recent). I used to run into him fairly often, but haven't seen him in years now, so am not sure if another book is in the works.
    The Buddy Edelen book was great - On A Cold Clear Day

5. Collapse Details
    Want the whole story......of both runners, that race, and the entire women's running scene at the time?
    Read Frank Murphy's incredible book "The Silence of Great Distance"!
    It has the history of women's modern track (Doris Heritage, Kazankina, Decker Slaney, etc etc.
    It has the psychology of women runners, their eating disorders and other emotional/psychological barriers peculiar to female distance runners.
    Has several great historic photos....of Ormsby and Herbst, and even Suzy Favor (Hamilton)....who also went to Wisconsin, like Herbst!!
    And it goes into depth on how it greatly affected Herbst afterward too!
    One of the best books I've ever read on T&F!!
    Find it on Amazon....really cheap
    Well, I bought Murphy's book and am reading it. I cannot say enough good things about this gem, it is just awesome, covering topics which are largely ignored, in addition to its historical qualities. And my personal thanks to everyone on the board who recommended it!

I raised a daughter who became a successful runner and she experienced many of the issues described by Murphy in the book. By the time she was in college, things like bulimia were almost taken for granted, considered part of the tools of the trade.

I remember how women who ran distance back in the 60's and early 70's were almost considered freaks and of course not expected to be physically appealing in keeping with traditional stereotypes. Hell, I attended a pretty nice high school in the Atlanta suburbs and we didn't even have a girl's track team! (Swimming was permitted, however).

One particular quote by Murphy in his chapter on gender testing is telling regarding women's participation in "strenuous" sport:

"Advances are made; they are permitted, but they are also qualified by reference to the continued expectation that women will yield. The injustice of requiring women to define themselves in feminine terms while competing in masculine terms creates a false dichotomy based on gender; it wrongly links essentially asexual qualities to gender differences; and it promotes conflict, both for the woman who attempts to meet the demands made of her, and for men who may presume the right to enforce stereotypes.

"That said, however, something in the injustice makes women's athletics more fascinating than men's athletics. If running itself creates a conflict between the contradictory impulses of exertion and relaxation, women's running adds a second layer of complexity based on gender and social expectation. Measured by reconciliation as well as athletic performance, the skill required for success is vastly more subtle, and the women who accept the challenge are, to that degree, more fascinating, if not more admirable."

6. Collapse Details
    Really happy you like the book!
    I still browse through it from time to time, and have read the whole thing probably 3 times!!

Interesting to note that Ormsby and Herbst are still on my Top 24 Collegiate lists (in my T&F Record Book).

In the 5K, Herbst's 15:31.09 from 1986 is still 20th fastest A-T Collegiate!
    In the 10K, Herbst's 32:32.75 (the race in the book!!) is # 16, and Ormsby's 32:36.2 (that she ran earlier that year!) is 20th!!
    In fact, both were faster in college than Molly Huddle!!
    Huddle's best then was 32:37.37 in 2006!

7. Collapse Details
    Suzy posted a link to this on Twitter this morning:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=7 ... =1&theater

8. Collapse Details
    I can only imagine that the 'issues' she faced in her double life are somewhat akin to what 12-step programs address, i.e., this may be an 'addiction' that requires vigilance. I'm sure she and her support system can sustain her - she was a GREAT competitor!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    I can only imagine that the 'issues' she faced in her double life are somewhat akin to what 12-step programs address, i.e., this may be an 'addiction' that requires vigilance. I'm sure she and her support system can sustain her - she was a GREAT competitor!
    I think her issues are a deeper than an addiction. I suspect she has a deep seated personality disorder which will require ongoing vigilance and a committed support system. I wish her future stability.

10. Collapse Details

After 14 years, Suzy is going to blog again.

http://suzyfavorhamilton.com/good-back/