Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Chuck Berry dead at 90!
    Stephen King (the author) tweeted---

Chuck Berry died. This breaks my heart, but 90 years old ain't bad for rock and roll. Johnny B Goode forever.

I agree!
    RIP, Chuck!!

2. Collapse Details

Wow, I remember as a child hearing the great stars of rock and roll say that Chuck Berry was one of the founding fathers of rock and roll and that he was the singular greatest inspiration on them. A creative force like this comes once a century. He got allot of credit but never as much as he deserved, he brought all the threads together in the mid 50s and without him we would not have all the derived rock sounds of the 1960s to the present that we appreciate so much. It is hard to understand that he was already in his 30s by the late 50s. He saw many come to the show, and he saw many exit before their time. May we remember him today with a few of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Hx8CfvWyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ROwVrF0Ceg

You will say you have seen many provide their best renditions of his songs, but Ive never heard one that bettered his!
    Last edited by user4; 03-18-2017 at 11:34 PM.

3. Collapse Details

A legend

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    roll over, Beethoven!

5. Collapse Details

The Rolling Stones (as a group) and Keith Richards (as an individual) have paid tribute to Berry on Twitter.

Why wouldn't they?
    Without Chuck Berry, no Stones, no Beatles, no Elvis, no Buddy Holly, no Beachboys........and on and on and on and on ad infinitum!!

6. Collapse Details

Because he had an influence on them does not mean that none of them would not have made it and made it big. The No x, y, z, ... implies that none of them had talent.

7. Collapse Details

Chuck was the man.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    The Rolling Stones (as a group) and Keith Richards (as an individual) have paid tribute to Berry on Twitter.

Why wouldn't they?
    Without Chuck Berry, no Stones, no Beatles, no Elvis, no Buddy Holly, no Beachboys........and on and on and on and on ad infinitum!!
    I can only suspect that Berry would reject that completely. Music is all about borrowing what others did, Berry did it and he was always pleased when others borrowed from him. Others were mixing and matching to make the new sound and it was spreading like wild fire. Berry was simply one of the very best and creative at it. Are we to only give credit to the inventor of the ancient guitar and find everything that followed it to be derivative? The manifold creative nature of mankind knows no bounds, we should learn to appreciate all the wiggles.

I would like to imagine that Chuck and Beethoven are sharing some special times right now !

.. .. and Oh yeah, Beethoven was a musical hyperion !!
    Last edited by user4; 03-19-2017 at 02:29 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Mea Culpas!!

Agree totally!
    Berry was first, but not the ONLY!!

Just as Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, the cell phone, iPhone, etc all used his original technology, and finessed it to the nth degree!

Same with Berry's VERY astute lyrics & guitar riffs!!

Though maybe his Duck Walk was his and his alone!
    LOL

10. Collapse Details

There were others at the beginning, but Chuck Berry (as Back To the Future noted) was a true forefather of rock'n'roll.