Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    an interesting bit of MLK history
    Administrator
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/guardian...eech-lives-on/

(Raveling is one of my favorite sports characters ever)

2. Collapse Details

More than interesting. That's a great bit of history!

3. Collapse Details

Similar article in Sports Illustrated a couple years ago.

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/guardian...eech-lives-on/

(Raveling is one of my favorite sports characters ever)
    Very interesting, especially about MLK ad-libbing perhaps the most important part of the speech. Watching a TV clip of that some time back, I clearly heard a lady say something like "Tell us about your dream", just before MLK went into that part of the speech. I believe the lady was Mahalia Jackson.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catson52 View Post
    Watching a TV clip of that some time back, I clearly heard a lady say something like "Tell us about your dream", just before MLK went into that part of the speech. I believe the lady was Mahalia Jackson.
    You are correct. Some of MLK's advisors thought that "I have a dream" had been done to death and had gotten stale, but Mahalia, a performer herself, realized that this speech was only stale to the people who were on the road with MLK and were hearing it every day, but it would sound fresh to the masses of people out on the Mall who had never heard it before. Sensing that it was time for him to bring them to their feet, and she said "Tell'em about the dream, Martin, tell'em about the dream."

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    You are correct. Some of MLK's advisors thought that "I have a dream" had been done to death and had gotten stale, but Mahalia, a performer herself, realized that this speech was only stale to the people who were on the road with MLK and were hearing it every day, but it would sound fresh to the masses of people out on the Mall who had never heard it before. Sensing that it was time for him to bring them to their feet, and she said "Tell'em about the dream, Martin, tell'em about the dream."
    Great to have more background on that"incident" - and that too from within ten miles or so of where I live in Baton Rouge.