Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Like or Dislike buttons
    Is it possible to add 'Like' and 'Dislike' buttons to posts, so we can express agreement or disagreement simply by clicking on these, rather making further comments?
    Sometimes further comment is not necessary when someone expresses an opinion or thought you agree with. Similarly, one might not wish to argue a point, but rather just express the fact that they disagree with a comment.
    Plus these would give us a better idea as to where other posters stand on an issue.
    For example, if I posted that I don't think Semenya should be allowed to compete in the Olympics, others could reply or just simply agree or disagree with this statement.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksf View Post
    For example, if I posted that I don't think Semenya should be allowed to compete in the Olympics, others could reply or just simply agree or disagree with this statement.
    I believe a whole lot of people will agree with you about Semenya (not) competing.

3. Collapse Details

It would be very interesting to see a poll of members about Semenya.

4. Collapse Details

I like the idea of a like button in order to like someone else's liking a liked comment!
    LOL

P.S. Seriously, I DO endorse the idea of a "like" button (or "dislike").
    Facebook has it.
    Twitter's is called "favorite", but means essentially the same thing.
    I use the Twitter one all the time, without sending someone a reply.
    Last edited by aaronk; 07-17-2016 at 01:33 PM.

5. Collapse Details

I do not mind Semenya competing; I do not want her doing so with an unfair advantage. And therein lines the problem of a like/dislike. If the post is not worded carefully and fully it will not get interpreted right.

6. Collapse Details

This is supposed to be a discussion forum, where people present arguments. I don't see what's the added value of the like button, apart from a vanity trip for certain posters.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Of course this is a discussion board!
    But when a discussion is ongoing and someone presents an opinion or argument that you agree with, you can simply 'Like' their post, vs. saying, "I essentially agree with everything you just said", which is redundant and cluttering.
    When someone makes a good point, and I have nothing to add, I don't say anything.
    But with a Like or a Dislike button, I can make my opinion known without further, repetitive discussion.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I do not mind Semenya competing; I do not want her doing so with an unfair advantage. And therein lines the problem of a like/dislike. If the post is not worded carefully and fully it will not get interpreted right.
    I am not suggesting Like and Dislike as replacements for discussion!
    If something is said that you don't agree with, go ahead and say so, as usual.
    Like and Dislike would just be an additional way to 'chime' in.
    If you use Facebook, you might understand better what I mean.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    This is supposed to be a discussion forum, where people present arguments. I don't see what's the added value of the like button, apart from a vanity trip for certain posters.
    Sometimes, if someone says something EXACTLY (or ALMOST exactly!) the way I would have said it, I''ll offer a brief reply, such as...."Agree 100%!".

But even that is a waste of my time, wherein a "like" button would allow me to say "Agree 100%!" by just clicking on the "like" instead!

It's a time saver, in certain instances, nothing more!

10. Collapse Details

And then we will end up like FB with no meaningful discussion just a bunch of useless emojis.