Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?
    Will be without snow here in Göteborg all winter, with a small hint of possible snowfall in march - when the sun is out longer. This means a long, drawn out autumn on the other end of things.

Doesn:t bode well for the mandatory winter tyres - 6.000 SEK for four new ones put on in okt.

What:s up with your part of the world?

2. Collapse Details

I don't live there, but I read that New York City had the first December since the late 1800's without snow.

3. Collapse Details

Global warming is a fact. What is disputed is what changes it will make in your neighborhood.

In theory Europe is screwed ‘cause the warming Atlantic currents are supposed to shut down, leaving Europeans to face the kinds of winters they get in Minnesota. I read this morning that Phoenix, AZ had a record number of consecutive dry days this year (something like 147), whereas Seattle had the wettest November on record. So maybe you will get more of what you are used to, whatever that is.

In CA they expect more rain and less snow in the Sierras, adversely affecting water supplies in the big cities that are quenched by snow runoff. The collection reservoirs are sized to handle gradual runoff over a long period of time, not huge amounts of runoff over a short period of time.

All sorts of interesting things will be happening weather-wise in our lifetimes. I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy near-sea-level properties. And things definitely look bad if you are a polar bear . . .

4. Collapse Details

Acdording to the NYTimes, it was 72 degrees there this past weekend (that's 22 Celsius). Equalled city record for January.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/nyreg ... ref=slogin

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    plus ça change.... I remember my mother kvetching about the weather patterns being totally screwed up (too much snow one year, not enough the next) in the '50s and blaming it on nuclear testing.

Any attempt to look at weather in anything other than monstrous many-year chunks and across the whole planet as an average is like identifying all the trees on the forest after looking at one fallen leaf.

(but yes, of course, the overall trend is currently upwards, with no end in sight)

6. Collapse Details

Thankfully, things are getting back to normal in WNY:

"THIS VERY COLD FLOW OF AIR WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE AREA THROUGH THE DAY WEDNESDAY. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS ARE LIKELY WITH LOCALIZED STORM TOTALS APPROACHING A FOOT AND A HALF IN SOME AREAS."

We can only hope.

7. Collapse Details

Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles
    No snow in Connecticut and none forcast thru mid Jan. Since im a runner i love it! Here's hoping for a nice mild summer! :arrow: :idea: :twisted: :twisted:
    phsstt!

8. Collapse Details

We had a record high of 9.2C for January 1 here in normally-frikkin'-freezin' Toronto. I think I've seen about a dozen snowflakes so far this year and it wasn't dandruff. It's definitely freaky. Meantime, palm trees in Vancouver have likely been flattened like the ones in Stanley Park - GH must be wondering what's up with his native hinterland. 50 years from now, Iqaluit will be the new Fort Lauderdale 8)
    Take good care of yourself.

9. Collapse Details

"What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"
    Weather cycles, Chicken Hammy, weather cycles. What goes around, comes around, even in weather. Now if you could just get those damn volcanoes to stop spewing out gas at such a high level... :twisted:

10. Collapse Details

gm,

Take 90 minutes one day and watch An Inconvenient Truth. We are riding one cycle you really don't want any part of . . .