Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is poker gambling?
    A Federal judge in New York thinks not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/nyreg ... rules.html

Guy is indicted for running a poker game.

In a ruling that goes to the heart of what it means to play poker, Judge Jack B. Weinstein tossed out the conviction and vacated the indictment of the man who ran that gambling business. The judge’s reason: poker is more a game of skill than a game of chance, so game operators should not be prosecuted under the federal law the prohibits running an illegal gambling business.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Is poker gambling?
    It is when I do it.

3. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Interesting question. In limit poker, I would say yes. But in the World Series of Poker no limit stuff, where you have all of these 20something-all-in mentalities dominating the game it seems like pure chance to make it to the final table, or even get very far.

What kind of skill is needed when you have pocket aces and you go all in? It is hardly chess.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    Interesting question. In limit poker, I would say yes. But in the World Series of Poker no limit stuff, where you have all of these 20something-all-in mentalities dominating the game it seems like pure chance to make it to the final table, or even get very far.
    Indeed, I finally quit playing poker, cuz in the group I played with, one guy ALWAYS called! Yes, he always lost, but he sure took the 'skill' out of it. Best hand always won.

5. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    Indeed, I finally quit playing poker, cuz in the group I played with, one guy ALWAYS called! Yes, he always lost, but he sure took the 'skill' out of it. Best hand always won.
    That is basics of low limit poker. Sit back and wait for the best hand... because you always get called. Poker Nation describes what a dreary life it really is playing poker for a living that way.

http://www.amazon.com/Poker-Nation-High ... ker+nation

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    A Federal judge in New York thinks not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/nyreg ... rules.html
    Good call by the judge; seems that some common sense prevailed here.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post

What kind of skill is needed when you have pocket aces and you go all in? It is hardly chess.
    Anyone can win a hand just like anyone can win an NFL game vs the spread once. But to be a consistant winner over a long period of time you need a lot of skill in both poker and NFL wagering.

8. Collapse Details

TAFNY nomination for Lonewolf:
    It is when I do it!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post

Where is Conor Dary? I don't think I have seen any postings by him in some time.

10. Collapse Details

I don' think NL Holdem is gambling. Yes, there is a chance element but skill usually prevails. If this wasn't the case you wouldn't have players like Daniel Negreanu in the money on a regular basis.