Thread: Famous Jameis

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Famous Jameis
    There were 900 ballots and 115 left him off the ballot altogether, and yet he still won by the 5th largest margin ever. AJ McCarron second.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Famous Jameis
    I'll bet Christine Brennan is one of those 115, but I don't understand why she has a ballot anyway. :evil:

3. Collapse Details
    No question that the right guy won.

That being said, I still don't feel comfortable about the way that the Tallahassee PD handled the case based on what we know so far.

4. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    I'll bet Christine Brennan is one of those 115, but I don't understand why she has a ballot anyway. :evil:
    and i should ignore this bit of misogyny why?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    and i should ignore this bit of misogyny why?
    Because disliking a person who happens to be a women does not make one a misogynist, lest you also believe that disliking a person who happens to be Black makes one a racist.

6. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    my sensitivity meter goes off easily in this area. People tend to be very careful about couching any criticism of people of color so that it's clear it's not racism, but aren't remotely so circumspect when it comes to bad-mouthing women just because they're women (particularly in the sportswriting world).

Curious as to what stance Brennan has ever taken that has turned you so strongly against her.

7. Collapse Details
    Curious as to what stance Brennan has ever taken that has turned you so strongly against her.
    Because she explicitly said Winston was off her ballot AFTER he was not charged.
    So much for 'innocent till proven guilty'.

8. Collapse Details
    my sensitivity meter goes off easily in this area. People tend to be very careful about couching any criticism of people of color so that it's clear it's not racism, but aren't remotely so circumspect when it comes to bad-mouthing women just because they're women (particularly in the sportswriting world).

To me she's always come off as a very strident and sanctimonious. She reminds me of Mike Lupica, someone else I have no use for. On the question of Heisman ballots, I'm not as elitist as Desmond Howard who thinks that only former players and coaches should be allowed to vote - he flipped out when he found out that Chris Fowler and Paul Finabaum had Heisman votes - but I do think it should be limited to journalists whose primary duty is covering college football.

9. Collapse Details
    To me she's always come off as a very strident and sanctimonious. She reminds me of Mike Lupica, someone else I have no use for.
    I'm with jazzy 100% on this one. Even tho I know Christine somewhat well, I really don't like her writing at all, for precisely the reasons jazzy has stated. I also can't stand Lupica, although I barely know him, and some of that is personal, going way back.

10. Collapse Details
    jazz should get an award for best come back to a gh chastizing post ever.