Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Sudden cardiac death in athletes.
    I thought this is a pretty nice summary for those interested.

http://reference.medscape.com/featur...1&faf=1#page=1
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

Gotta lose the caffeine. I used to not use it before workouts since it's a vasoconstrictor. But encouraged by some studies I started trying it, and man, some of my best workout performances came after plenty of caffeine. Now granted, I'm an extreme morning guy (My run started yesterday morning at 3:45), so that plays into it. But my doctor now has me on lisinopril and I'm slowly weaning myself off the caffeine (stopping cold turkey makes my head pound).

Absolutely no more 5-hour Energy!

On a side note, I was hospitalized 5 years ago with a stomach virus and extreme dehydration. They saw some heart activity that concerned them and ran some tests. The doctor came in to explain something about a very slightly enlarged heart. When I asked (thinking to impress him with my knowledge) if it was perhaps an enlarged ventricle due to my lifestyle, he replied matter-of-factly, "No, that's not it. You don't have an athletic heart."

3 days in the hospital and that's my main takeaway to this day.

3. Collapse Details

I went in last year for a colonoscopy and the nurses were a bit squeamish with my heart data while my family practice doc (who was doing the procedure, one he does a lot) was not so concerned. It did get to be a bit of a pain when their monitor would go off every time my HR went down to 40.

4. Collapse Details

So PLA2 mutation is known as the Grinkov risk factor. Are there other medical anomalies or pathologies named after athletes?