Thread: Ebola in the US

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ebola in the US
    Obviously this is pretty much round the clock news in my part of the country. Seems like multiple failures by quite a few parties at this point. Besides the Dallas hospital sending Mr Duncan home after the first visit the part that bugs me as much as anything, is once a diagnosis of Ebola was confirmed, why didn't they immediately transfer Mr Duncan to one of the four hospitals in the US that are specifically prepared to deal with this sort of situation. To assume that a random hospital would deal with this correctly the very first time seems like a horrible assumption.

2. Collapse Details

The 'Zombie Apocalyptics' are having a field day with this!

We're all dead in 2 months - you heard it here first!!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Obviously this is pretty much round the clock news in my part of the country. Seems like multiple failures by quite a few parties at this point. Besides the Dallas hospital sending Mr Duncan home after the first visit the part that bugs me as much as anything, is once a diagnosis of Ebola was confirmed, why didn't they immediately transfer Mr Duncan to one of the four hospitals in the US that are specifically prepared to deal with this sort of situation. To assume that a random hospital would deal with this correctly the very first time seems like a horrible assumption.
    As someone on a PBS interview said, a true case of hubris. We are not like those in other countries, we will control it immediately. I have a relative who has volunteered at the Dallas Hospital in question. She says the nurses are great, bordering on heroic, in carrying out their duties. Those in charge, were unprepared on how to go about taking proper precautions. As someone who has worked in (a) highly radioactive labs., (2) contamination free, chemistry labs., I found out that perhaps the most difficult moments come when removing the protective clothing properly. Wouldn't be too surprised if part of the problem in Dallas was caused by similar problems.

4. Collapse Details

As usual our focus is 99% on ourselves. The coverage of what's going on in West Africa has been piss poor. While we focus on 2 nurses the Africans may be looking at 10,000 a week!
    Still we had better get this right as numerous parts of the country have large populations of West Africans who have family flying in on a regular basis. The next big fight will be: Flight ban or not? My guess is we will go for the flight ban if another African comes in with the disease.

5. Collapse Details

Here's my lay-person question:

If ebola can only be passed through bodily fluids (not air or touch), how did that USA contamination happen?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

If ebola can only be passed through bodily fluids (not air or touch), how did that USA contamination happen?
    No training to handle this level of quarantine; improper removal of protective clothing. Touched something with fluids on it. Rubbed eyes, picked nose, ate lunch immediately afterward without washing hands. Likely one of the above, I would assume.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

I heard some MD delivering non-sense (last week) designed for political purposes that " you would have to roll around in the blood and vomit of an ebola victim during the short time window that they are contagious in order to catch the virus" ... huh ?

I scratched my head in disbelief and said to myself, do these political types really think we are this dumb ? .. do they honestly think that we would believe that this virus is spreading at a near geometric rate in Africa because people there are rolling around in vomit ? .. That told me all I needed to know about how easily the CDC could be politicized and how even non-government types with political ties can become such conduits of misinformation.

The best information for adults in all situations is called the truth. If they simply focus on delivering accurate information it is amazing how fast people can assimilate the information and act appropriately on it. Some of these hacks view the world through such a political lens the truth is at best a secondary factor.
    Last edited by user4; 10-17-2014 at 05:52 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catson52
    I found out that perhaps the most difficult moments come when removing the protective clothing properly. Wouldn't be too surprised if part of the problem in Dallas was caused by similar problems.
    That is what I understand the problem was.

As one that was trained in response to biological/chemical/nuclear warfare, I can attest how tricky that is.
    A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact.

Thomas Henry Huxley

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I heard some MD delivering non-sense (last week) designed for political purposes that " you would have to roll around in the blood and vomit of an ebola victim during the short time window that they are contagious in order to catch the virus" ... huh ?

I scratched my head in disbelief and said to myself, do these political types really think we are this dumb ? .. do they honestly think that we would believe that this virus is spreading at a near geometric rate in Africa because people there are rolling around in vomit ? ..
    First, the MD's statement -- although perhaps verging on hyperbole -- was designed to counter the hysteria currently festering in the general public. This isn't the start of the Zombie apocalypse, nor will the disease reach unprecedented levels in 48 hours (insert your favourite bad disease epidemic movie here). He's basically trying to say you won't get Ebola by merely being somewhat near an infected patient.

Second, the spread in the African countries is exponential because they don't have the healthcare infrastructure to support it. I'm guessing those who can't get to a hospital (in part because they are at capacity, in part because they are too distant) are tended to at home by their families. In my experience caring for a baby, when there's explosive fluid emission, you're going to get your hands dirty cleaning it up!

Considering this is the beginning of flu season -- whose initial symptoms are quite similar to Ebola's -- we're in for a very long media craze...
    Last edited by JRM; 10-17-2014 at 07:41 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    …..
    The best information for adults in all situations is called the truth. If they simply focus on delivering accurate information it is amazing how fast people can assimilate the information and act appropriately on it…..
    Yes, that has worked so well with vaccination programs in this country.