Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Commonwealth Games 2014
    Tickets on sale now, but website is on go-slow.
    :roll:
    I'm going to try to get tickets for Monday, Thursday and Saturday athletics...see how lucky I get.

With all this talk about athletics in crisis over the positive drug tests of Gay and Powell, it hasn't reduced demand for tickets to see athletics - it's still easier for me to get tickets to a cricket match!
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Commonwealth Games 2014
    Some lesser meets are fun to watch and have tickets modestly priced.
    But next summer I'm challenged , and a bit baffled, by overlapping schedules:

July 21-27 USAF Junior Olympics - Houston
    July 22-27 World Junior Champs - Eugene
    July 27-August 2 Commonwealth Games - Glasgow

GBR has a fine teenage steepler who would like to compete at both World Junior and Commonwealth. I expect there are other athletes who are eligible for boh of those meets but may have to choose just one.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fields
    Some lesser meets are fun to watch and have tickets modestly priced.
    But next summer I'm challenged , and a bit baffled, by overlapping schedules:

July 21-27 USAF Junior Olympics - Houston
    July 22-27 World Junior Champs - Eugene
    July 27-August 2 Commonwealth Games - Glasgow

GBR has a fine teenage steepler who would like to compete at both World Junior and Commonwealth. I expect there are other athletes who are eligible for boh of those meets but may have to choose just one.
    These are hardly comparable events. Glasgow is likely to have Bolt, Shelly-Anne Fraser Pryce, Rudisha, Ennis-Hill, Farah and Rutherford competing - the Commonwealth distance events will be ultra competitive with the East Africans competing.

4. Collapse Details
    Are you sure Bolt and SAFP will be there? If they turn up, it will probably be the first time ever that they will running at the CWG....

I wonder what carrots Glasgow will dangle for them....

I got my bid in for tickets...now, I just have to wait, and see if I'm successful. Given the demand for athletics tickets in Britain, I'm not too optimistic. The website crashed due to high demand....

5. Collapse Details
    I have ni idea if they will compete or not but in recent years the CG's have been at weird times of year (March & October) the other side of the word (Delhi & Melbourne).

This time they are in Europe slap bang in the middle of the season. There will also be guaranteed sell out crowds and very little else going on at the same time, which makes them much more attractive.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan
    Are you sure Bolt and SAFP will be there? If they turn up, it will probably be the first time ever that they will running at the CWG....

I wonder what carrots Glasgow will dangle for them....

I got my bid in for tickets...now, I just have to wait, and see if I'm successful. Given the demand for athletics tickets in Britain, I'm not too optimistic. The website crashed due to high demand....
    Bolt has certainly made positive noises about attending recently and this article by Jamaican journalist Andre Lowe backs this up:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... ds-newsxml

In terms of tickets, you have until mid September to apply, They are not available on a first come first served basis so it won't make any difference if you apply now or in a few weeks time.'

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumpy
    I have ni idea if they will compete or not but in recent years the CG's have been at weird times of year (March & October) the other side of the word (Delhi & Melbourne).

This time they are in Europe slap bang in the middle of the season. There will also be guaranteed sell out crowds and very little else going on at the same time, which makes them much more attractive.
    Yes, these should be the best Commonwealths we've have for some time.

8. Collapse Details
    "So in 2014 I will be racing like I did in any other season. The Commonwealth Games? I've never been there before, but I'll leave it up to my coach to decide on my competition programme."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Bo ... z2e0lV6yEu

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan
    "So in 2014 I will be racing like I did in any other season. The Commonwealth Games? I've never been there before, but I'll leave it up to my coach to decide on my competition programme."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Bo ... z2e0lV6yEu
    Read an article where he says in the Daily Mail that he wants to try and break his 200m WR next year. I think he may well go to the commonwealth games. Blake already said he isn't doing it .

10. Collapse Details
    "It's on my to-do list," Bolt, 27, told BBC Radio 5 live. "I really want to do it but I never go against my coach." He said the 100m and 200m double would "probably would be unlikely", adding: "I probably would run the 200m if I go because it's my favourite event." The Jamaican has never won a Commonwealth medal but added: "We are going to discuss it, we are not fully sure if I will go but throughout the season we will decide if that will be a good thing to do."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/24168319