Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 391
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: as our descent back into the Middle Ages continues
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    firmly at Arya's side!
    Posts
    47,652
    well spoken
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    2,089
    The Jenny McCarthy Body Count tracker
    http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.co...ount/Home.html
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    10,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    The Jenny McCarthy Body Count tracker
    http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.co...ount/Home.html

    On the above website is an "Anti-vaccine history" tab. Most instructive, I learned a lot.
    A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact.


    Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Fortunately, this appears to be a spoof:

    http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/my...children-t-653

    Headline: My Doctor Told Me I Should Vaccinate My Children, But Then Someone Much Louder Than My Doctor Told Me I Shouldn’t
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    10,600
    Ebola epidemic is all over the news. Just like the viral scourges of the past (smallpox, measles...), the answer is in developing a vaccine. The sooner the better.
    A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact.


    Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    "make an informed, educated, decision about what is best for us"

    I'm sure you do, but for every one of you who does that, there are hundreds/thousands of morons who make uninformed and uneducated decisions based on superstition/rumormongering/whatever.

    For this reason, I believe in the government making ALL such medical decisions for all people. The populace as a whole isn't up to that level of decision-making, and, in IMHO, when bright people like you fight it, you only feed the ignorant masses. No offense, but as a bacteriology/public health major back in the day, I just can't view it any other way.

    The internet is the worst thing that ever happened to the general health of the public.
    The weakness with your approach is that it is perfectly suited to a populace that is illiterate and uneducated. It actually encourages and promulgates illiteracy and dependency. It therefore turbo charges the social need for greater and greater centralized control. The results are a vast population incapable of learning and incapable of self sufficiency in even the most basic of their material needs. A well fed and medicated population dependent on government for their every need, from their medical to their food. And since ultimately the government draws its resources to provide such materials from the population it is a risky thing to expect it to be able to provide for a population that is increasingly unable to provide for itself. Civilizations can deteriorate. I know of no great civilization that was founded on a population of illiterate dependent fools.
    Last edited by user4; 09-17-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    10,600
    A most informative article in TIME. To see the whole spiel online, you have to be a subscriber. Highly recommended.

    http://time.com/3429650/why-the-anti...ont-fade-away/
    A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact.


    Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    79
    Watch: lotsa people who won't vaccinate their kids now will soon be falling all over themselves to develop and use an Ebola immunization.
    The only ones who won't be eager for a vaccine will be the nutjobs who believe Ebola does not exist or was fabricated as some sort of illuminati conspiracy.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,480
    Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    Watch: lotsa people who won't vaccinate their kids now will soon be falling all over themselves to develop and use an Ebola immunization.
    The only ones who won't be eager for a vaccine will be the nutjobs who believe Ebola does not exist or was fabricated as some sort of illuminati conspiracy.
    ...Until they catch it themselves. I can think of 3 things that such a fruitcake will do next.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    The weakness with your approach is that it is perfectly suited to a populace that is illiterate and uneducated. It actually encourages and promulgates illiteracy and dependency. It therefore turbo charges the social need for greater and greater centralized control. The results are a vast population incapable of learning and incapable of self sufficiency in even the most basic of their material needs. A well fed and medicated population dependent on government for their every need, from their medical to their food. And since ultimately the government draws its resources to provide such materials from the population it is a risky thing to expect it to be able to provide for a population that is increasingly unable to provide for itself. Civilizations can deteriorate. I know of no great civilization that was founded on a population of illiterate dependent fools.
    Well written. The last sentence set off some memories. Thucydides, the true "father of history", suggested something along those lines led to the rapid decline (in about 50 years) of the Athenian "culture" in the 5th century BC. George Santayana's famous quote - now very much in the news - strikes home again.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •