Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tafnut
    I'm currently rereading two books that have been SERIOUS best-sellers (sales in the hundreds of thousands annually now and for a long time) for at least the last 150 years. Can you guess them?
    So what is this? Is this like one of GH's lists that is a what I am thinking? OK, I've got one too.

Fill in this list

[], [], [], [], [], []

And NO CHEATING!

2. Collapse Details

I'm reading Philip Roth's "The Plot against America".

The premise is that Charles Lindberg runs for president as a Republican in 1940 and defeats FDR in a landslide. Dark days follow for America and especially for the Jews. Shades of Sinclair Lewis' "It can't happen here"

Not my favorite Roth book. ( I prefer "The Counterlife" , "American Pastoral" or "Sabbath's Theater") But still, good stuff.

3. Collapse Details

I enjoyed that Roth tome. Counterfactual histories can certainly prompt interesting scenarios.

Tafnut's two texts: Macbeth and Moby Dick?

I'm reading Andrew McGahan's "The White Earth" (an Aussie award winner that has a very Dickensian-tone - a real turnaround from this guy's normal stuff which is much more Irvine Welsh-like slacker/drug tales).

Just finished Michael Collin's "The Secret Life of E. Robert Pendleton" (which I believe was called "Death of a Writer: A Novel" in the US). Turns out Collins is an ultra-marathon runner.

Before that was "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts, an Aussie guy that lead an incredible life on the run after escaping our highest security prison and setting himself up in Bombay. 900+ pages of adventure and philosophising.

And gh, if you like those two Bryson language books, you might want to check out "The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language" by John McWhorter, a not overly academic take on the evolution and changeability of languages.

4. Collapse Details

"The American Axis", a rather uncomplimentary account of Henry Ford's and Charles Lindberg's playing footsie with pre-WWII Nazi Germany.

I am trying to read the Koran. Talk about slow going. Without the footnotes it is pretty incomprehensible. The translator needs half a page to explain a word and then tries to defuse the offensive pronouncements as not to be taken literally in the present time.

5. Collapse Details

I just finished banging through the Dennis Lehane oeuveres (except for the short story collection, Coronado, which I haven't been able to pick up at the library yet). When we moved, I got waaay behind on New Yorkers (I am at July 3), so I will drop below Epelle's numbers for books to zero for a couple weeks. We read some junk mystery/thriller stuff, so there is always something coming out from our favorite authors (J Patterson, Cornwell, Silva, Tanenbaum, Littell). There are also new novels out by Le Carre & Forsythe. But I don't consider them junk. Especially Le Carre. But for now, NYer.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mike renfro
    When we moved, I got waaay behind on New Yorkers (I am at July 3)
    That can be quite a bit of reading, depending on the content--which varies from issue to issue--but it's generally well worthwhile.

Edited to fix typo.

7. Collapse Details

Finished Tom Wolf's "A Man in Full" yesterday. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Not dissimilar to some of his other novels ("Bonfire of the Vanities", "I am Charlotte Simmons"), but worthwhile even if you've read those.

8. Collapse Details
    Reading currently
    Malcolm Pryce, Last Tango in Aberystwyth. Sequel to Aberystwyth, Mon Amour. Darkly humorous detective story set in a rather surrealistic contemporary Wales.

Not to be confused, or, for that matter, compared, with anything else.

9. Collapse Details

I'm reading, "A Different Gospel" by D.R McConnel. It's an analysis of the Word of Faith movement.

As well as that I'm working my way through the book of John

10. Collapse Details
    Re: What are you reading now?
    Quote Originally Posted by trig
    Okay, we had the thread on the number of hours read. But what exactly are you reading?

I am reading Rex Stout's "Death of a Doxy", a Nero Wolfe mystery and
    the DK "World War I".

By the way, I had a good idea what it meant but I looked it up to be sure.

–noun . 1. an immoral woman; prostitute.
    2. Archaic. a mistress.

[Origin: 1520–30; of obscure orig.]
    I really enjoyed the Wolfe series. I read them basicly in order over the course of a year or so, maybe 50 of them that year and over the years have read most if not all the others.
    I can not count the times I was sent to the Websters!!!!!!!!! actually sometimes twice on the same page.
    Thanks trig, think I might have one or two on the shelf to reread, they never go stale.
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"