Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What are you reading now?
    Okay, we had the thread on the number of hours read. But what exactly are you reading?

I am reading Rex Stout's "Death of a Doxy", a Nero Wolfe mystery and
    the DK "World War I".

By the way, I had a good idea what it meant but I looked it up to be sure.

–noun . 1. an immoral woman; prostitute.
    2. Archaic. a mistress.

[Origin: 1520–30; of obscure orig.]

2. Collapse Details

History Lessons: How Textbooks from Around the World Portray US History. The title kind of says it all. What are they teaching folks in other countries about events in our history. Nice to get the Canadian take on the Revolutionary war, or Cuban and Filipino take on the Spanish American war, or the Nigerian take on slavery, or the Chinese take on the Boxer Rebellion, for instance. They are quoting directly from what appear to be high school textbooks, so it is sometimes a tad dry, but there have been more than a few eye openers.

http://www.amazon.com/History-Lessons-T ... F8&s=books

3. Collapse Details

That sounds very interesting. I will put it on my list.
    I once advised an Eastern European student at the U of O for one year only to take history instead of math. Math is the same all over the world. Of course, history is in the eye of the beholder.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    What's a "DK"?

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I'm (re)reading Bill Bryson's Made in America (A History of the English Language in the United States)

If you're an information junkie, this is one of the great books of all time. As with so much of Bryson's stuff, it's history, geography, civics, myth-busting, trivia, etc., etc., all wrapped up in very entertaining style. And you learn so much. Omigod! I can't recommend it too highly. Oh yeah, and its main thrust is that it's a book about words.

6. Collapse Details

DK is Dorling Kindersley Publishing. They publish those great travel books with all the pictures. This is a big picture book - with (surprise) a lot of fabulous pictures. I also have the WWII book.

I absolutely loved Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson (that gh told me about). I am definitely putting Made in America (A History of the English Language in the United States) on my list.

7. Collapse Details

Read both those books by Bryson and they were both very good. His most recent book which is sort of a book on all knowledge was also fairly good.

Currently reading a pre-publication pre-print of a new bio on Jesse Owens. Pretty good so far.

I also continue to read a lot of historical stuff on the Revolutionary War era in the USA - constitution, bios, war stuff. Kinda into that era. However, right now a bit between books - I started a bio of James Madison but really can't seem to finish it - hard slugging.

I guess my historical reading makes sense in track & field since I've been accused of not being interested in track & field after World War I, which is not true, but I love the 19th century stuff.

8. Collapse Details

I'm currently rereading two books that have been SERIOUS best-sellers (sales in the hundreds of thousands annually now and for a long time) for at least the last 150 years. Can you guess them?

9. Collapse Details

The 150 years would lead me to Uncle Tom's Cabin, but hundreds of thousands a year? Nah . . .

10. Collapse Details

Nope - you should have figured out by now that they are texts - one is the the GREATEST play ever written (which my seniors are EATING UP!) and the other is the most famous cautionary tale of AmLit history (which my AP juniors are EATING UP!).